Revitalizing Our Church Engaging Our Community
History of Elkville First Baptist Church
Our church was organized on June 23, 1901. It began in a two room school house on First Street. By December 1901 a new frame church building was constructed at the corner of Main and South Sixth Street. It cost $3,000, and consisted of two large rooms that could seat 300 people. Five months later the church was free of debt. Then in January 1902, a bell was bought; this bell now sits in front of our present church. In January 1907 the church joined the new Illinois State Baptist Association.
Electric lights, costing $20 replaced gas lights in 1913. The first piano was added to the church in 1915.
The present day parsonage property was a gift to the church in 1938. The present day parsonage building was then constructed in 1955. A building fund was begun in about 1957 for the purpose of constructing a new church building. The property was bought for this new church site in September 1963. On May 16, 1965 the first service was held in this new building which is our present day church building. The church membership continued to increase and an educational building was added and dedicated on October 31, 1976.
510 N. 4th ST (Rt. 51 North)
Elkville, IL 62932